Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Did You Have a Good Day?

HS: Did you have a good day? Maybe the students will face this question every day. The students need to respond quickly.

S: um, yes, thanks, um, yeah, today By saying these hesitational markers the students give the impression that they have got something to say. It also means that they can hold the floor for a longer time - or less likely that they will be interrupted.

We also learnt how to "feel" if the conversation needs to be extended into giving extra information. If it does then the normal information expansion works; however, if the person looks as if they are busy or don't want to continue the conversation then the students should say:

"Oh, anyway, I'll talk to you soon, um, I'm going to go and change my clothes." We also looked at other expressions to use. For example, "anyway, I'll talk to you soon, um I just need to go to my bedroom" etc.

The students are learning strategies to change the flow of the conversation, or to end it. I made the students realise that they need to pay attention to the atmosphere of the situation.

No comments: