Monday, May 11, 2009

Some Japanese Expressions

Thanks to Bronwyn for giving these expressions. Hope that they're of use.

Home-stay Phrases

Around the house

Shall I help you? (an offer) Tetsudaimashoo ka
Shall I dry the dishes? Sara o fukimashoo ka
Where shall I put this cup? Kono koppu wa, dokoni irereba ii desu ka
May I take a bath? O-furo ni haitte mo ii desu ka
May I have a shower in the morning? Asa SHAWAA o abite mo ii desu ka
May I go with you? (eg to the shops) Issho ni itte mo ii desu ka
I’m a little bit tired Chotto tsukarete imasu
......I think I’ll go to bed early Kyoo wa hayaku yasumimasu.
......I think I’ll write letters in my room. Heya de tegami o kakimasu.
I get a bit tired thinking in English all the time. Itsumo Eigo de kangaete, chotto tsukareyasui desu.
I think I’ll have a little rest in my room Sukoshi, heya de yasumimasu

Sickness

I don’t feel very well Chotto kibun ga warui desu.
May I stay at home today Kyoo uchi ni ite mo ii desu ka
It’s asthma Zensoku desu.
I have a headache Atama ga itai desu.
I have a temperature Netsu ga arimasu
I feel nausea Hakike ga shimasu
I’ve got diarrhoea Geri o shite imasu
I’m constipated Benpi o shite imasu
I’ve got a cold. Kaze o hiite imasu.
Host: Shall I call the doctor? O-ishasan o yobimashoo ka
It’s OK. Please don’t worry. Daijoobu desu. Shinpai shinaide kudasai
I’ve got some medicine Kusuri ga arimasu.


Meals

Food’s ready! Gohan desu
It smells good. Ii nioi (ga shimasu)
It looks delicious. Oishisoo (desu)
Said before eating. Itadakimasu
Would you like another helping? H: O-kawari wa (ikaga desu ka)
Yes please Hai onegai shimasu. / Hai itadakimasu
It’s delicious Totemo oishii desu
No thank you Moo ii desu / Iie kekkoo desu.
Thank you for the meal. Gochisoosama (deshita)

No comments: