Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Greetings - role plays

Thank you for responding to the feedback callout. It's been really helpful.

Today in class we did greetings:

S: Hi, _______ I'm home

HP: Oh, hi ________ did you have a good day?

S: Yeah, it was ok, just the usual, but yeah, nothing really special. How was your day?

HP: Oh, yeah, not bad, just the usual.

S: ok, hey, um, I'm just going to change my clothes, so I'll talk to you later.

HP: Ok, see you soon.

S: yeah, see you soon.

We went through these conversations in role plays. I video taped all of the role plays and then we had a discussion about what was good and needed to be improved. A lot of the time, the students were too slow to respond, so we then had to look again at the safety strategies, for example, "Oh, um, sorry I'm a bit nervous, but um, anyway I'' be back soon, just a minute," or words to that effect.

I also got the students to write a conversation like the one above. I will go through these conversations with all of the students in class.

I will also teach the students about how to write and format texts, explaining when they will be home, where they are, etc. I did this with the students a long time ago, so hopefully, this will only be review, but still good for extensions.

Thanks again for the feedback - already it has changed and given me fresh ideas for what to teach.

No comments: