Thursday, August 20, 2009

You Tube

Recently, I have been using some very informative YouTube videos to teach the students about some interesting topics, but also as a listen and repeat lesson. I firstly, get the students to listen to the topic and then get them to talk about it for 45 seconds to their partners. I then give them a model answer. I go back over the model answer by stopping and starting the video and get the students to repeat the sentences. I pay attention to particular vocabulary and idioms and anything else that I think the students had difficulty understanding.

Here are a few of the Youtube videos that I showed gave to the students. They are all to do with the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2Q0upiD_0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJg138YlwvA

(If these links don't work then just go into YouTube and write in TOEFL and all of the links come up.)

The students find this difficult, but it certainly does give the more advanced students some great listening and speaking opportunities. Once again, the students can decide to go to the level that they are comfortable with. The students can also replay the clips as many times as they like for extra practise. Since the students are going to be doing the TOEIC test soon, then this is a good starting place.

No comments: